Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Lync 2013 Front End Services Not Starting. Lync Running on Windows 2012 Server.

This past week I ran into an issue with my lab that I thought was worth a blog post. Out of nowhere my lab host VM froze and required me to hard restart the box. This isn’t the first time I have had this issue due to my hardware being on its last let. It’s a lab what do you expect! Bringing back my VM host and all the guest just like I have done many times before I noticed something different. The front end service on my Standard Lync 2013 server would not start. I was also seeing some consistent event errors each time I tried to restart the service:

To give a bit of background on my lab I am running Lync 2013 Standard on a Windows 2012 Standard box. This solution rides on a Windows 2008 R2 domain with an internal private CA.

















Event ID: 32178 Source: LS User Services

 
















Event ID: 32174 Source: LS User Services



















Event ID: 57006 Source: LS User Store Sync Agent

Steps Spent Troubleshooting:
Starting down my troubleshooting path it lead me to a google page full of resolutions that had me deleting non self-signed certificates from the “Trusted Root Certificate Store” on my computer. I spend a bit of time scratching my head on this one trying to see what I was missing thinking it had to be this issue to resolve my problem. Everything was lining up perfect from an event viewer standpoint. After a few different looks in the store I decided to move on.

Next I moved to more posts stating that I needed to rebuild my fabric for Microsoft Lync. Since I was using a STD server I thought it was kind of odd but what the heck it’s my lab, let’s try it all. Again as with the last possible resolution, I spent some time trying a few of the different commands to see if they would have different outcomes and still no success.

I then thought what about updates! Maybe running the CU would help fix my issue. So, I ran the latest CU updates over again and re-published my databases hoping that if it was a DB issue it would resolve my issue. Once again, no success.

Resolution:

Finally I thought it was time for the next step, rebuild the solution. I really didn’t want to do this since I didn’t want to rebuild my entire lab so I took the next best thing. Reinstalling the databases to see if I could get this resolved. Again, this is my lab and I didn’t have a ton of data but, it is still data so I proceeded with caution. 

To start this I wanted to ensure I wouldn’t lose my information so thanks to Elan Shudnow’s blog - http://www.shudnow.net/2012/10/09/dbimpexp-exe-functionality-integrated-into-lync-2013-preview-management-shell/ and using:

Export-csuserdata
Export-csconfiguration - If my XDS database went bad I had a copy
Export-cslisconfiguration – again I just wanted all my data

I was able to export my data and give some confidence that I could bring my data back online after my reinstall.

Running the following command allowed did a clean install of my databases. Since I thought it was related to my database I was left with no option.

Install-CsDatabase -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <SQL FQDN> -UseDefaultSqlPaths –Clean

Once the reinstall was done, I reimported my user data to ensure I would have all my info and my front end service started with no issues. Luckily I had some hotel time while I am staffed on a project out of town so I was free and clear to mess with the lap and get this resolved. In the end I fixed the issue with no data loss.


YMMV

No comments:

Post a Comment